Meet our team
Aboriginal/Indigenous Law includes legal issues and procedures related to:
- Issues under specific Treaties and the Indian Act, including land control issues, leasing, designations, permits and security on land.
- Taxation, including fuel, tobacco, retail sales and income taxes.
- Property security provisions under the Indian Act, including exemptions respecting seizure, garnishment and attachment.
- Band election and government issues.
- The creation and establishment of new Reserves and Additions to Reserves.
- The negotiation, implementation and processing of Treaty land entitlement claims, flooding claims and other land claims.
- The negotiation, development and implementation of natural resource agreements respecting forestry and hydro electric development.
- Negotiation and development of agreements between First Nations and municipalities.
- Banking and lending issues for First Nation capital corporations as well as the negotiation of loans from financial institutions to First Nations.
- Corporate and commercial advice to both First Nations and Tribal Councils, as well as First Nation corporations and individuals, including tax advice.
- Gaming and lottery negotiations between Manitoba and First Nations.
- Labour and employment law in representing First Nations and Tribal Councils with respect to employee complaints, federal and provincial labour board and court hearings, general advice on labour and employment matters including contracts (both employment and collective), sexual harassment and unlawful termination.
- Self Government negotiations between First Nations, Canada and Manitoba.